6 Tips For Losing Weight After Delivery
Every new Mom soon realizes they still need to wear those maternity clothes or sweatpants after they delivered their precious bundle of joy. Granted they have lost some weight from the baby, placenta, and fluids; but there is still more excess weight hanging on.
Average weight gain during pregnancy is between 25 and 35 pounds. If you were overweight before you got pregnant you'll want to lose even more. The following are tips to help you get that weight off and get back into those skinny jeans.
1. Be Realistic
- It took 9 months to put the weight on so it will take at least that long to take it back off. You'll want to be patient and take a gradual, healthy approach to losing the weight.
2. Healthy Diet
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These are packed with fiber and nutrients that will help you feel full longer.
- Make it a habit to eat smaller portions more frequently throughout the day. Only eat when you are hungry, not stressed or bored.
3. Super Foods
- Fish, beef, and eggs are packed with the protein, iron and B12 to give you an increase in your energy level.
- Milk and yogurt adds the calcium you still need for healthy bones and research suggests that calcium may help prevent weight gain by burning more fat than it stores.
- Drink at least the recommended 8 glasses of water per day.
- Water is essential for digestion, circulation, good kidney function, and transporting nutrients through the body.
- Drinking water will help you stay away from sugary drinks.
- Staying hydrated is great to keep your skin from drying out.
- Exercise not only helps with weight loss, it also helps with stress, depression, and sleep.
- Get your Doctor's ok and start slow. Try for 30 min. a day which can be done in 10 min. increments.
- It's best to feed baby before exercise when possible.
- Walking or pushing baby in a stroller for a mile burns 150 calories. Walking up and down the stairs for 15 min. burns the same amount.
- Including baby can add an element of fun. Besides the normal lifting you do everyday, try laying on your back and lifting baby up and down. The laughing that is sure to come will burn a few calories also. Every little bit helps.
- Join a "Mommy and Me class where you can exercise with baby and interact with other moms.
- You may want to start a weight loss program or join a fitness center for some extra help.
- The jury is still out on this one. Studies differ on whether breastfeeding is actually connected to weight loss. It seems to be true for some women and not others.
Either way, it's healthy for your baby and is a calming bonding experience. Less stress is good for weight loss.
Follow these tips and allow yourself a special treat on occasion and you'll be back to your pre-pregnancy weight before you know it.
Print a $4.00 off Coupon for SLIMQUICK Pure - Weight Loss Designed for Women!